10 Best Business Strategy Courses and Certification For Elevating your career in 2022
It is important to direct firms in the right direction by creating efficient strategies and plans. For many business professionals like the business managers and the executives, strategic information is not less than any asset. In the world of competency, every other person or business want to outgrow their businesses and achieve excellence in the market. It is moreover, a vital thing to conduct market research and analyse the collected data and come up with strategic plans to develop the company at every level be it the production sector, the execution sector, or the goods and services sector. The professionals who are meant to perform such activities are known as Business Strategy Professionals. These professionals are highly skilled and inculcate leadership skills and are capable of leading the company to amazing heights. Moreover, some of the major roles and responsibilities of Business Strategy Professionals are as follow:
- Evaluating and choosing strategies
- Implementing and controlling short-range and medium planning
- Undertaking from an industrial to a knowledge-based society
- Making strategies according to the company’s market position
- Creating different innovative ideas for their firm’s product
- Managing employees and give them tasks according to their ability
Discussing the 10 Best Business Strategy Courses and Certification For Elevating your career in 2022
Recognizing the importance and the need to choose the right learning path to become a Business Strategist. It is surely not an easy track to take but it is neither impossible. The important point to focus on is whether you choose the correct path or not. The internet is filled with several courses but choosing the right one which satisfies your requirements is a difficult task. Therefore, we along with our experts have researched and tried to present you with our best knowledge regarding the 10 Best Business Strategy Courses and Certification For Elevating your career in 2022. So without wasting more time below are some of the best and latest certification courses that you desire.
Now, let’s discuss the 10 Best Business Strategy Courses and Certification!
1. Vskills Certified Business Strategy Professional
This certification course is meant for team leaders, middle level managers and senior level managers this course is for such practitioners. The most astonishing part of this course is that it is recognised by the Government of India and is highly appreciated by numerous reputed multi-national companies. The course claims that you’ll learn about strategic decision making, innovation management, change management, business ethics, corporate governance, and corporate social responsibility and sustainability which is important for a Business strategy professional. Overall, this is a very nice course and I would personally recommend you to take this course and feel the difference for yourself.
- Strategic Management
- Strategic Decision Making
- Innovation Management
- Change Management
- Business Ethics
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Social Responsibility
Reasons to take this course:
- Vskills is a Government Certified body that adds value to your resume itself.
- The Certification is valid throughout your life.
- No prior knowledge required.
- Get access to free Practice Tests.
- Both Professionals as well as begineers can take this course without any second thought.
- Candidates get tagged as ‘Vskills Certified’ On Monsterindia.com and ‘Vskills Certified’ On Shine Shine.com for better job opportunities.
- This course is available online including online learning material and hard copy at your door steps.
- You can take your exam at any time of your convenience.
- 12 fruitfull Learning hours.
Duration of course: 12 hours
Rating: 5 out of 5
Click here to Sign up
2. Business Strategy Specialization (Coursera)
Coursera is offering this specialization course in Business Strategy, in collaboration with the professionals at University of Virginia. This entire program is split into five courses that will help to attain specialization in this field. Moreover, you can also apply for financial aid and take this entire program for free. You’ll learn how to evaluate industry evolution, build and sustain competitive advantage, formulate and assess business strategies, and align efforts to organizational strategy. Also, when you finish the course and complete the hands-on project, you’ll earn a Certificate.
- Foundations of Business Strategy
- Advanced Business Strategy
- Business Growth Strategy
- Strategic Planning and Execution
- Business Strategy in Practice (Project-centered Course)
- Financial aid to students who cannot afford the cost of the course.
- Learn to achieve specialization in the field.
- Learn from the top universities in the world.
- Comes with brand name of University of Virginia.
Duration of course: 7 months
Rating: 4.7 out of 5
3. Business Strategy from Wharton: Competitive Advantage (edX)
This course is meant for students with pre-existing knowledge of basic business concepts. This course will give you various tools and framework to build, develop, and execute strategies successfully. You’ll get the opportunity to evaluate your own strategy and enhance your ability to assess the strategic impact of the moves of your competitors. Moreover, this course will work on creating your skills and by the end of this course you’ll be able to assess and redesign your current strategy and develop plans for effective implementation for the firm you work with.
- Analyze your firm’s internal fit
- Analyze your firm’s external fit
- Maintaining your firm’s dynamic fit
- Creating new strategies and initiatives
- End the program with a capstone project.
- Beginner to advance level course.
- Learn with university partners and peers from around the world
- Learn at your own pace.
Duration of course: 6 weeks
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
4. Top Business Strategy Courses (Udemy)
Udemy has more than a million users who look over thousands of online courses prepared by qualified and experienced instructors. There are about more than a hundred courses on Business Strategy from which you can choose on and start learning. Some of the bestselling courses are mentioned below in this blog and you can check about more courses from the link given below. You can go for the bestseller MBA in a Box. Apart from this, the programs allow you to explore various techniques to create value, manage your strategies, execute a strategy analysis, gain clarity, and grow your business.
- MBA in a Box: Business Lessons from a CEO
- Business Strategy Execution: Agile Organization Design
- Conduct a Strategy Analysis using Business Analysis
- Business Fundamentals: Corporate Strategy
- Seth Godin’s Value Creation Master Class
- Strategy for Management Consultants & Business Analysts, and many more
- Get lifetime access to the video lectures.
- Learn from the best instructors.
- Get the courses at a very nominal price.
- Get assessment test to validate your skills.
Duration of course: Self-Paced
Rating: 4.4 out of 5
5. Business Strategy and Decision-Making Skills by Coventry University (FutureLearn)
This course is specially meant for business managers as well as students with at least two years of relevant experience. This is an intermediate-level course that will give you knowledge about strategy and globalisation. You will get the opportunity to explore how corporate strategies are determined, evaluate and select the best strategic options in relation to internal (SWOT analysis) and external (PESTLE analysis) auditing. The course is up-to-date and will provide you with insights into improving how business works. Overall, this is a good course to get the basic knowledge about Business Strategy.
- Internal Analysis of a Company: From Value Chain to SWOT Analysis
- An Introduction to Macro Environmental Analysis and Business Strategy
- Competitor Analysis
- Strategic Goals
- Strategic Planning
- Each topic is covered in an elaborate manner.
- Get CPD certified.
- Free online course.
Duration of course: 10 weeks
Rating: 4.8 out of 5
6. Bob Iger Teaches Business Strategy and Leadership (Masterclass)
This course is prepared by the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Walt Disney, Bob Iger, in collaboration with Masterclass. In this course, Bob will share his experiences and strategies he used and acquired in Marvel, Pixar, and Lucasfilm to make Disney the unbeatable leader in the industry. Learning from such a experienced person will definitely guide you with amazing ideas by learning different business strategies and experiences related to leadership skills. I would suggest everyone to take this course for once and listen from the professionals and build your career from their guidance.
- Using Your Time Effectively
- Focus, Strategy & Priorities
- The Art of Negotiation
- Creating Brand Value
- Anticipating What Consumers Want, and so on.
- Downloadable instructor guides for every class
- Get new classes every month
- Complete expert assistance
Duration of course: Self-paced
7. Digital Strategies for Business (Columbia Business School)
This is an advanced course specially designed for senior management and managers who aim to create innovative strategies and business models to thrive their organisation at every sector. The entire course content is concentrated on training you how you can innovate unique strategies and business models to allow your business to succeed in the digital era. You’ll also explore various marketing techniques and tools to implement your marketing strategies more efficiently. Moreover, after completing the course, you’ll receieve a certificate of completion attested by Columbia Business School.
- 5 Domains of Digital Transformation
- Customer Networks and the New Path to Purchase
- Understanding Digital Customer Behaviors
- Platform Business Models
- Coopetition, Disintermediation, and Asymmetric Competitors
- Building Data as a Strategic Asset for Your Business
- Big Data at Work: New Data, New Tools, and Templates of Value
- Innovation through Experimentation: AB Test and Minimum Viable Value
- Translating the Lean Startup to Enterprise Scale Innovation
- Adapting Your Value Proposition
- Mastering Disruptive Business Models
- Surviving Disruption: 6 Incumbent Responses to a Disruptive Challenger
- Leadership and the Customer Value Imperative
- Live Q&A and Live Online Teaching Sessions
- Get 120 video lectures
- Study 3 case studies
- Get 12 Assignments and attend 9 Discussions
Duration of course: 3 months
8. Advanced Business Strategy: Gaining a Competitive Edge (Harvard Extension School)
This course is meant to give you deeper insights of the business frameworks and strategic patterns for assessing your organization’s challenges and opportunities. Moreover, getting certified from a reputed university will boost your resume and increase your career opportunities. Some of the major topics the curriculum will include is designing and analyzing business models, behavioral decision making, digital marketing strategy, and more. Moreover by the end of the course, you’ll have the basic thinking that will set you apart as a strategic leader.
- Artificial intelligence: creating value with machine learning
- Behavioral decision making
- Digital marketing strategy, and more.
- Learn from the world-famous Harvard extension school.
- Acquire the ability to explain complex analytical models.
- Learn at your own pace with the flexible deadlines.
9. Business Development: Strategic Planning (LinkedIn Learning)
This is a short course that will give you an overview of Business Strategy. In this course, you’ll learn how to use strategic planning to develop your business. Moreover, learn how to clearly define the long-term goal you want to accomplish, build your strategic planning team, and create a vision, mission, and purpose statement. And, by the end of the course you’ll get a certificate of completion that is sharable on your Linked profile also.
- Understanding the Strategic Plan
- The Desired State of the Strategic Plan
- The Current State of Your Strategic Plan
- Implementing Your Strategic Plan
- Designed and created by some of the best instructors of LinkedIn Learning.
- Variety of exercises to practice the concepts covered in the lectures.
- Free access to courses for the first 30 days.
- Learn writing skills from the very basics to advance level.
Duration of course: 1 hour
Rating: 4.6 out of 5
10. Diploma in Strategic Management (Alison)
Alison is offering this diploma course in Business Strategy that will give you complete knowledge in strategic management and will help you build invaluable strategic management skills that will help you gain ground in your organisation. Alison is one of the first platforms to offer MOOCs (massive online open courses). Moreover, you will learn the difference between operating decisions and strategic decisions as well. You’ll also get a assessment test to evaluate your skills and knowledge.
- Introduction to strategic management
- Understanding Corporate strategy
- Business strategy-Experience curves and doom loops
- Introduction to the decision making process in strategic management
- Decision making process and corporate planning, and many more.
- Free Course
- Certificate available with a nominal fee
- Learn at your own pace
- Fit for beginners
Duration of course: 10-15 hours
We have now reached the end of the blog. We hope you found your best course and start your journey to become a Business Strategy Professional and will complete it successfully with flying colors. Moreover, we wish you all the very best for your future. Happy Learning!
Share this post
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Get Govt. Certified
Want to qualify Certified Business Strategy Professional exam?
Are you preparing for Certified Business Strategy Professional exam?
Get industry recognized certification – contact us.
- Accounting, Banking & Finance (970)
- AML/KYC (28)
- Angular (2)
- Announcements (2,282)
- Anti Money Laundering (1)
- Arbit (354)
- Artificial Intelligence (1)
- Automation testing (17)
- Big Data (31)
- Biotechnology (3)
- Business Analysis (8)
- Business Analytics (7)
- Business Development (3)
- Business Process Re-engineering (3)
- Business Strategy (2)
- Career Tips (190)
- Cloud Application (1)
- Cloud Computing (11)
- Communication (4)
- Compliance (8)
- Content Writing (6)
- Corporate (3)
- Cost accounting (2)
- Cyber Security (8)
- Data Science (16)
- Database Testing (3)
- Design (14)
- Digital Banking (2)
- Digital Marketing (5)
- Digital Media (71)
- E-Commerce (2)
- Economics (96)
- Electronics (8)
- Energy (16)
- Entrance Exam Alert (9)
- Entrance Exam Results (1,774)
- Entrepreneurship (76)
- Event management (1)
- Expert's Interview (5)
- Fitness Training (2)
- Foreign Trade (24)
- Freight Forwarding (1)
- Go Language (1)
- Hacking (2)
- Hardware and Networking (1)
- Health, Nutrition and Well-being (45)
- HR Audit (2)
- HRBP HR Business partner (2)
- Human Resources (365)
- Information Technology (217)
- Interview Dates (1)
- Interviewing and Hiring (4)
- L&D (1)
- Labour Law Analyst (2)
- Leadership (5)
- Lean Manufacturing (3)
- Life Skills (283)
- Linux administration (1)
- Logistics & Supply Chain Management (59)
- Machine Learning (4)
- Management (429)
- Managerial Accounting (1)
- Marketing (72)
- Media (160)
- Mobile Application Development (20)
- Office Skills (11)
- Operations (4)
- POSH (Prevention of Sexual Harassment) (3)
- Procurement management (1)
- Production (1)
- Programming (34)
- Project Management (15)
- Psychology (2)
- Public Relation (2)
- Purchase Management (3)
- Quality (61)
- Quantitative Financial Programming (1)
- React JS (6)
- Real Estate (5)
- Resume Writing (1)
- Robotic process (2)
- Sales, BPO (10)
- Security (14)
- Selenium (21)
- Six Sigma (13)
- Six Sigma Green Belt (1)
- Social media (2)
- Software Testing (30)
- Talent acquisition (4)
- Tally.ERP (1)
- Team leadership (1)
- Technical Analysis (1)
- Testing (59)
- Transaction Monitoring and Financial Crimes (1)
- Underwriting (1)
- US GAAP (5)
- Vskills Certification (5)
- Warehouse management (3)
- Web Development (103)
- Top Colleges
- Top Courses
- Entrance Exams
- Admission 2023
- Sarkari Exam
- Visual Stories
- Write a review
Strategic Management Courses in India
Vyshnav Achuthan ,
Dec 30, 2022
Share it on:
Looking for Strategic Management courses in India? Check complete information about courses, top colleges, scope and much more.
Strategy planning has become the first and foremost important step in any organization. It is important in laying down the long-term goals and mission of an organization. It is all about planning, directing, organizing, staffing, controlling, and coordinating that is aimed to achieve a specific goal or series of goals. strategic management can help in the market place which is continuously being agitated through the innovations of technologies. Strategic management can help in delivering a solid bottom line to the execution. In this article, Basic concepts about strategic management along with Strategic Management courses, Online, Short Time, Degree Courses in India are discussed.
What is Strategic Management?
Online strategic management courses.
- Colleges in India
Scope of Strategic Management Courses
- Strategic Management Course Benefits
Strategic Management is an incorporative concept of various aspects relating to Management. It is a managerial course that has a mix of ideas from business strategies to human resources. It gives a perspective on the world of buyers and sellers. This course is also determined to provide a broader view of the business decisions taken and then analyzed accordingly. Strategic management courses are less discovered than any other course in India.
The strategic management course provides students with the concepts of management techniques and organizational theory. The courses benefit students by imparting management skills and understand these skills practically as well as theoretically and boost their leadership qualities. The curriculum comprises various industrial experiences that the students will learn and understand. Students willing to attend classes full-time can enroll in a college that offers Strategic Management Courses.
Below are some of the list of Strategic Management Courses:
MBA in Strategic Management
Strategic management of innovation.
- M.Sc strategic Management
- Strategic Management Short Course
- Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership
- Certificate in Strategic Management and Leadership
MBA in Strategic Management is a course that is affiliated to students who aspire to complete their Masters. It is a course designed with theory and industry-based instances for a better understanding of students. Every student is given tasks to analyze and study different companies and their approach towards the same. This course also teaches how to learn consumer behavior and the crux of clients' reactions. They are also taught how to interpret data collection. There is in-depth teaching of Business principles and Business Methodology.
Course Fees for two years: 1L - 15L
Colleges that offer MBA in Strategic Management Courses in India
- Xavier Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Institute of Management NIRMA University; Ahmedabad
- IFMR University of Chennai
Strategic Management of Innovation course is for 12 months and comprises those who strive to take up challenges while working. This course's overview focuses on candidates who have already worked in the industry and have prior experience in the industry. It aims at improving and taking up innovations at your workplace. This program involves techniques for analyzing strategic innovation and executing business processes. The methods of innovating with competitors are also taught.
Course Fees for 12 months: INR 90,000 - 1L
Colleges for above Course
- Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
M.Sc Strategic Management
Master of science or M.SC in strategic management is aimed at providing specialist skills in business strategy, strategic thinking, and analytics. It is an opportunity for skill up-gradation through studies focused on strategic thinking and management for aspiring professionals. The program is designed to develop business leadership, Strategic decision-making, Negotiation, Quantitative skills and imparts critical knowledge of various techniques and tools of contemporary business and management practices along with theories. It is a great opportunity for students to showcase their skills and talents.
Course Fees for 2 years: INR 20,000-1L
Colleges that offer MSC in Strategic Management Courses in India
- Christ University, Bangalore
Strategic Management short course
This is a unique Strategic Management Certificate Course that is designed for 100 days for managers and executives. Students with prior working experience can also apply for strategic management short courses. It helps the candidates in developing leadership and managerial roles. The course aims at teaching candidates the analytics of the market. There are various aspects, such as Strategic Management, Strategic Application, and the same execution. There are case studies and group discussions that happen. The overall objective of this course is to understand the process of the market using appropriate techniques.
Fees for this Course: INR 1.25L
Colleges that offer Strategic Management short course in India:
- IIM Ahmedabad
- IIM Kozhikode
Candidates who are unable to go for a full-time course can sign up online for strategic management courses in distance learning. There are a variety of online courses that a candidate can choose from such as:
- Strategic Management: From Insight to Decision
- Strategic Management Certification
- Strategic Management
While opting for strategic management courses in distance learning, students can contact their desired institution to get clear information about the course as the duration and fees are subjected to vary based on the institution.
Strategic Management Colleges
Colleges that offer Strategic Management Courses in India
- IIM Bangalore
- IIM Calcutta
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- IIM Lucknow
Strategic Management Course Benefits
- There are many job opportunities for students who are looking forward to making their career in Strategic Management.
- Strategic Management Course Content helps you build different aspects of the industry, such as analyzing, researching, data collection, and consulting.
- With experience in various electives, one becomes more confident with the work assigned.
- There are job specifications, and this would not demand you to work all over the clock.
- It provides students a specific framework for decision making and also provides an industry perspective.
The scope of the Strategic Management course is to enable students who aspire to be in Managerial positions. It helps students cater to a larger part of the market, such as analyzing and studying the buyers and sellers.The entire focal point and the scope of these courses enable students with every principle that the industry operates with, from entrepreneurial skills to developing and analyzing how the business works.
After studying the Best Strategic Management courses for making a promising career, a student also has to make an excellent command of some skills, and those skills are listed below.
- Presentation Skills
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills
Strategic Management Job Profiles
After completion of any Strategic Management Courses in India, the student can apply for various job profile, and some of those popular job profiles are listed below
- Business Analyst
- Business Development Coordinator
- Marketing Consultant
- Consumer Analyst
- Strategy Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Strategic Planning Manager
POST YOUR COMMENT
XAT 2024: Exam Dates, Eligibility, Syllabus, Application
KMAT Full Form: Eligibility, Application Form, Exam Pattern
UGC Approved Online MBA Colleges in India 2023
What Next After Completing CA Final?
Tips to Crack and Practice Games And Tournament CAT Questions 2023
Top Must Know Tips and Tricks for CAT Para Summary Questions 2023
CAT Algebra Questions 2023: Topics, Books, Preparation Tips
PeopleCert, on behalf of Axelos
- Onsite training
- Log a ticket
+91 8037244591 Available 24/7
What are you looking for?
Sorry looks like we are having trouble finding the course you’re looking for..
We may not have the course you’re looking for. If you enquire or give us a call on +91 8037244591 and speak to our training experts, we may still be able to help with your training requirements.
Or select from our popular topics
- ITIL® Certification
- Scrum Certification
- Lean Six Sigma Certification
- Business Analysis
- Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Excel & Certification Course
- Microsoft Project
- Software Testing Courses &
- Change Management
Press esc to close
Talk to a learning expert
Fill out your contact details below and our training experts will be in touch.
Fill out your contact details below
WHO WILL BE FUNDING THE COURSE?
By submitting your details you agree to be contacted in order to respond to your enquiry
Thank you for your enquiry!
One of our training experts will be in touch shortly to go over your training requirements.
Back to Course Information
Fill out your contact details below so we can get in touch with you regarding your training requirements.
* WHO WILL BE FUNDING THE COURSE?
Preferred Contact Method
Back to course information
Fill out your training details below
Fill out your training details below so we have a better idea of what your training requirements are.
HOW MANY DELEGATES NEED TRAINING?
HOW DO YOU WANT THE COURSE DELIVERED?
- Online Instructor-led
- Online Self-paced
WHEN WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE THIS COURSE?
Next 2 - 4 months
WHAT IS YOUR REASON FOR ENQUIRING?
Looking for some information
Looking for a discount
I want to book but have questions
One of our training experts will be in touch shortly to go overy your training requirements.
Strategic Planning And Thinking - India
- Gain in-depth knowledge about the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) matrix.
- Understand how to identify the indicators and how to measure their achievement.
- Acquire skills to recognise emergent approaches to monitoring and evaluation.
- Course syllabus
- Who it’s for
- What’s included
- Why choose this course
Strategic Planning and Thinking Training Course Outline
Module 1: Introduction to Strategic Planning
- Defining What "Strategic" Means
- Using the Strategic Planning Process
- Assessing the Benefits of Strategic Planning
- Preparing for the Planning Process
Module 2: Stakeholder Involvement and Undertaking a Strategic Review
- How do You Define Stakeholders?
- Stakeholder Research
- Collaborator/Competitor Analysis
- Boston Consulting Group (BCG) Matrix
- Thinking about the Relationship Between Outputs, Outcomes, and Impact
Module 3: Strategic Direction
- Identifying Strategic Direction
- Mission, Vision, Values, and Direction
- How Review Findings Will Impact On the Organisation's Strategic Direction
- Relationship Between Organisation Strategy and Brand Identity, and Aligning the Two
- Setting Strategic Objectives
- Applying SMART Strategic Thinking Skills
Module 4: Establishing Success Criteria
- Be Transparent
- Include Past Plans in the Process
- Agree on Terminology
- Engaged Leadership
- Avoid Rushing to Conclusions
- Plan for Change Management
- Strategic Planning Takes Time
Module 5: Listing Priority Areas for Action and Developing Objectives
- Strategic Plan Development
- SWOT Analysis to Set Priorities
- Long Term Strategic Objectives
Module 6: Using Outcomes-Based Tools and Action Planning Tools
- Using Outcomes-Based Tools
- Using Action Planning Tools
Module 7: Implementing the Strategy
- Strategy Implementation
- Key Factors Involved in Implementing Strategy
- Communicating Strategic Plan
Module 8: Monitoring and Evaluation
- Undertaking Effective Monitoring and Evaluation
- Difference Between Monitoring, Evaluation, and Impact Assessment
- Identifying the Indicators and How to Measure their Achievement
- Recognising Emergent Approches to Monitoring and Evaluation
Who should attend this Strategic Planning and Thinking Training Course?
Strategic Planning and Thinking Course is designed for professionals seeking to enhance their strategic decision-making skills. This Course is ideal for individuals in various roles who are responsible for shaping and executing organisational strategies. The following professionals can greatly benefit from attending this Course:
- Business Managers and Executives
- Project Managers
- CEOs and CFOs
- Entrepreneurs and Business Owners
- Department Heads
- Marketing Managers
- Team Leaders
Prerequisites of the Strategic Planning and Thinking Training Course
There are no formal prerequisites for this Strategic Planning and Thinking Course.
Strategic Planning and Thinking Training Course Overview
Strategic Thinking is the process of describing the way you will choose to reach your vision as it starts before strategic planning, but it does not stop until you reach your goals. It is a skill you can utilise for your daily work to make choices more swiftly and prioritise fields that are value investing in. Strategic Planning is the process of creating a design for the work you will do in a particular direction. It allows you to track development and make adjustments as situations changes. Strategic Planning is about getting your organisation where it needs and wants to go. This course takes you right through the strategic development process with supportive tools, techniques and ideas for every stage to increase your strategic thinking skills.
In this 1-day Strategic Planning and Thinking training, delegates will become familiar with various components of a strategic planning model. This training will provide in-depth knowledge about the relationship between organisation strategy and brand identity. Delegates will also learn about various essential topics such as setting strategic objectives, engaged leadership, SWOT analysis to set priorities, implementing the strategy, and many more. This course will be taught by our expert trainers who have years of experience in teaching courses.
This training will cover various concepts, such as:
- Strategic planning process
- Collaborator/competitor analysis
- Establishing success criteria
- Strategic plan development
- Action planning tools
- Communicating strategic plan
At the end of this training, delegates will also be able to review findings, which will impact the organisation's strategic direction. They will be able to apply smart strategic thinking skills effectively, and they will also be able to use recognising emergent approaches for monitoring and evaluation.
The Knowledge Academy has more courses related to this course under Personal Development Training , which provides delegates with a range of courses to increase their competency within their role, which can be applied to any organisation.
What’s included in this Strategic Planning and Thinking Training Course?
- World-Class Training Sessions from Experienced Instructors
- Strategic Planning and Thinking Training Course Certificate
- Digital Delegate Pack
Why choose us
Ways to take this course.
Our easy to use Virtual platform allows you to sit the course from home with a live instructor. You will follow the same schedule as the classroom course, and will be able to interact with the trainer and other delegates.
- See trainer’s screen
- Recording & transcripts
- Virtual whiteboard
- Share documents
- Works on all devices
Our fully interactive online training platform is compatible across all devices and can be accessed from anywhere, at any time. All our online courses come with a standard 90 days access that can be extended upon request. Our expert trainers are constantly on hand to help you with any questions which may arise.
- Certificates provided online
- Get immediate access on purchase
This is our most popular style of learning. We run courses in 1200 locations, across 200 countries in one of our hand-picked training venues, providing the all important ‘human touch’ which may be missed in other learning styles.
Highly experienced trainers
All our trainers are highly qualified, have 10+ years of real-world experience and will provide you with an engaging learning experience.
State of the art training venues
We only use the highest standard of learning facilities to make sure your experience is as comfortable and distraction-free as possible
Small class sizes
We limit our class sizes to promote better discussion and ensuring everyone has a personalized experience
Great value for money
Get more bang for your buck! If you find your chosen course cheaper elsewhere, we’ll match it!
This is the same great training as our classroom learning but carried out at your own business premises. This is the perfect option for larger scale training requirements and means less time away from the office.
Tailored learning experience
Our courses can be adapted to meet your individual project or business requirements regardless of scope.
Maximise your training budget
Cut unnecessary costs and focus your entire budget on what really matters, the training.
Team building opportunity
This gives your team a great opportunity to come together, bond, and discuss, which you may not get in a standard classroom setting.
Monitor employees progress
Keep track of your employees’ progression and performance in your own workspace.
Some of our worldclass trainers
Title, job roles, etc
Retro occupy organic, stumptown shabby chic pour-over roof party DIY normcore. Actually artisan organic occupy, Wes Anderson ugh whatever pour-over gastropub selvage.
What our customers are saying
Cat ran the course at a nice pace and was able to effectively adapt to there only being one delegate.
Keith showed considerable experience within this field and the content of the course was excellent and well presented by Keith.
Strategic planning and thinking faqs, what are the five steps in the strategic planning process, what are the pre-requisites, who should attend this course, what is the difference between strategic planning and planning, what is the difference between strategic thinking and critical thinking, what is the purpose of strategic thinking, what will i learn in this strategic planning and thinking training course, what is the cost/training fees for strategic planning and thinking certification in india, which is the best training institute/provider of strategic planning and thinking in india, what are the best personal development training courses in india.
Best price in the industry
You won't find better value in the marketplace. If you do find a lower price, we will beat it.
Many delivery methods
Flexible delivery methods are available depending on your learning style.
High quality resources
Resources are included for a comprehensive learning experience.
"Really good course and well organised. Trainer was great with a sense of humour - his experience allowed a free flowing course, structured to help you gain as much information & relevant experience whilst helping prepare you for the exam"
Joshua Davies, Thames Water
"...the trainer for this course was excellent. I would definitely recommend (and already have) this course to others."
Diane Gray, Shell
Looking for more information on personal development training.
- Upcoming classes
- Package deals
SELECT AN UPCOMING CLASS View all package deals
Customer Service Package
Emotional Intelligence INR29995
Dealing with Difficult People INR24995
Exceptional Customer Service Training INR44995
Strategic Planning and Thinking INR24995
Total without package: INR124980
Package price: INR74995 (Save INR49985)
Best price guaranteed!
Your privacy & cookies!
- Strategic Planning Training Courses in India
- Course Catalogue
- Management Training
- Strategic Management Training
Online or onsite, instructor-led live Strategic Planning training courses demonstrate through interactive discussion and case studies the fundamentals of Strategic Planning.
Strategic Planning training is available as "online live training" or "onsite live training". Online live training (aka "remote live training") is carried out by way of an interactive, remote desktop . Onsite live Strategic Planning training can be carried out locally on customer premises in India or in NobleProg corporate training centers in India.
NobleProg -- Your Local Training Provider
real case sharing.
Anthony Cheung, Karl Storz Endoscopy China Ltd.
Course: Strategic Development: Thinking, Planning, Management and Leadership
all the business examples and case studies sharing and there was quite a lot interactions during the course
The trainers learning techniques and productive materials. Also the discussion driven by the trainer to underline the purpose of this course related to mu issues and experience.
Fahad Al Saud, STC Solutions
Strategic Planning Course Outlines in India
Strategic development: thinking, planning, management and leadership.
- Describe the main problems that are faced by an organisation;
- Explain the various approaches to organisational development planning;
- Analyse the current business environment and influences affecting the organisation;
- Analyse resources within and external to the organisation;
- Explain the various approaches to managing strategy and it place in the business plan;
- Evaluate the alternative development strategies so as to recommend the one(s) most suited to the needs of the firm.
- Apply a deeper understanding of strategic development plans;
- Discuss objectively the risks, benefits and costs that accompany the implementation of the new strategy including managing conflict in a team;
- Define approaches to managing the identified risks;
- Analyse the potential impacts on his or her firm (both positive and negative) that will result from implementing the new strategy;
- Design policies, systems and processes to successfully implement the emergent strategic plans;
- Cover the key steps in change management
- Product/Service Managers
- Newly appointed as well as established Managers and Team Leaders
- Heads of Operations
- Senior Bank Managers
- Human Resource Managers
- Operations Managers
- Marketing Managers
Statistical Thinking for Decision Makers
- Participants will gain a big-picture understanding of what drives their business and how their role within the organization contributes to the business's goals, vision, and bottom line. The course is interactive and activity-based, with case-studies, team-based tasks and individual presentation and problem-solving making up an important part of the course.
Strategic Planning in Practice
Last Updated: 2023-07-21
Upcoming Strategic Planning Courses in India
Other regions in india, other countries, consulting in india, course discounts.
No course discounts for now.
Course Discounts Newsletter
We respect the privacy of your email address. We will not pass on or sell your address to others. You can always change your preferences or unsubscribe completely.
Some of our clients
is growing fast!
We are looking to expand our presence in India!
As a Business Development Manager you will:
- expand business in India
- recruit local talent (sales, agents, trainers, consultants)
- recruit local trainers and consultants
- Artificial Intelligence and Big Data systems to support your local operation
- high-tech automation
- continuously upgraded course catalogue and content
- good fun in international team
If you are interested in running a high-tech, high-quality training and consulting business.
This site in other countries/regions
Asia pacific, north america, south america, africa / middle east, other sites.
SPEAK TO US: (+91) 7428290716
translate Strategy into value driven decisions for leadership success
IIM CALCUTTA ADVANCED PROGRAMME IN STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT FOR CORPORATE LEADERS
(APSMCL Batch 15)
SPEAK TO OUR ACADEMIC ADVISORS: (+91) 7428290716
Get notified about the next batch
The business environment today is increasingly becoming disruptive with intense competition, integration across global markets, sustainability concerns, intense resource conflicts and technological disruptions leading to massive institutional transitions and transformations. Strategic management is about setting objectives, analyzing your organization and your competitive environment and coming up with strategies to help you achieve your organizational goals. Strategy leverages the power of individuals, organizations & markets in a cohesive manner to improve the effectiveness of an individual as well as the organization. Thus, it is critical for smart business leaders to be able to predict the challenges of the future and plan new strategic directions, thereby quickly implementing change and creating a competitive advantage. IIMC’s Advanced Strategic Management Programme is designed for Corporate Leaders who wish to translate strategy into value driven decisions and pave the way for sustainable growth. This course presumes that strategic action of competition or cooperation is always embedded in societal, institutional and regulatory contexts. Rather than looking at these as constraints, it helps if one can appreciate how wins can be crafted and power effectively leveraged while working within and through these broader institutions, to the benefit of both the organization and society.
Why You Should pursue This Programme
PROF. MRITIUNJOY MOHANTY
Dr Mritiunjoy Mohanty is Professor of Economics at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta. He is a Ph.D., from the Jawaharlal Nehru University, Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, New Delhi. He has published widely among other things on globalisation and India's growth strategy. He has also taught in other universities both in India and abroad. He was the Group Coordinator, Economics Group at IIM Calcutta from December 2003 to April 2006 and also an elected member of the Board of Governors of IIM Calcutta from November 2011 to November 2013. To know more about Prof Mohanty, visit: https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/mritiunjoy
PROF. BISWATOSH SAHA
Dr. Biswatosh Saha is Professor of Strategic Management at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta. He is a PhD from Indian Institute of Management Calcutta and B.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. He has pursued extensive work in the area of strategic management and has received many accolades for his research work. He has also co-authored many books and journals which are used across premier B-schools for academic inputs. To know more about Prof Saha, visit: https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/biswatosh
WHO IS IT FOR
This programme is aimed at managers in organizations who are currently in roles that require them to handle strategic issues, or managers who are looking to move into such roles. Senior and middle level managers and profit centre heads would find the programme particularly useful. Working professionals wishing to participate in the programme need to have a minimum experience of 7 years. Managers with longer and broader experience would benefit more from the programme.
Working executives who are graduates (10+2+3 or equivalent) in any discipline with 50% marks, with an experience profile of at least 7 years after graduation are eligible. Applicants with desired work experience who do not have 50% marks in graduation but 50% or more in post-graduation are also eligible.
The programme will use multiple modes of interactive delivery. Lectures and readings of concept pieces would be linked to discussion of business cases (and business histories), to ground theories/concepts in practice. The programme will also use extensively the widely distributed knowledge pieces within the web (in the public domain) through use of links, thematic sites to aid considerable self exploration by motivated senior managers and business leaders. Each platform interaction would require pre-reading and preparation in group-based modes by the participants. The course will also have a series of practitioner-interaction sessions.
- Strategic Thinking: Appreciation of conflicts, contests and cooperation
- Strategies in the digital economy: Managing Platformisation
- Role of Institutions, laws, contracts and frameworks for engaging with multi-stakeholders interests
- Firm strategy, sustainability and resource conflicts
- Increasing returns and business development withnon-linear profits
- Understanding competition and cooperation: Products and platforms
- Modularization and outsourcing
- Varieties of capitalism, institutional legacies and global competition
- Organizing inside the firm
- Managing under institutional transitions
- Merger and Acquisitions, including a brief exposure to valuation
PROGRAMME DELIVERY & CAMPUS MODULE
The programme will be delivered through classes held at designated VCNow Centres across India or through Direct to Device (D2D) as an option to participants, once a week. Participants need to select the delivery mode during the application submission. In addition, there will be a total of 10 days of workshops at IIM Calcutta campus during the course of the programme, subject to Govt Guidelines around the pandemic. Attendance will be mandatory for certification. In case the campus sessions are not held due to the pandemic situation, the same would be delivered through online mode as per schedule decided by IIM Calcutta.
Evaluation in this programme would be based on examination at end of the course and a project that the participants would undertake, either singly or in groups as per decision of the faculty.
At the end of the course eligible students will receive a certificate of completion of the programme from IIM Calcutta, along with a grade sheet carrying grade of the examination and the project. It is mandatory for participants to attend the campus sessions for successful completion of the programme. Please note that campus module will be held only if Govt regulations permit owing to the ongoing Pandemic.
PROGRAMME DURATION & SESSION TIMINGS
Programme Duration 6 Months .
To be Announced
Last date to apply: March 5th,2023 ( Last Phase )
Programme Commencement Date: March 2023
Note: Limited Seats. Early applications are encouraged. Selection evaluation on a first come first served basis.
FEE PAYMENT PLAN
*note – Fees subject to change for next batch
*Note: GST currently applicable at 18%.
- All payments in favor of Unified Collaboration Services LLP (VCNow). All fees including application fee is non-refundable.
- GST is currently applicable at 18%. Any additional payment due to change in any of the applicable Govt taxes during the tenure of the program will have to be borne by the participants.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants may apply online through the below provided online application link. The application must be complete in all respects including remittance of application fees, uploading of academic and experience related documents and submission of Statement of Purpose (SOP) & Profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered for further processing. In case of any assistance during the application process, please reach out to our Academic Advisors.
- International Relations Center
- Global Talent Portal
- Industry Interface
- Students Corner
- Learning Centre (LC)
- Virtual Tour
- Key Contacts
- Alumni Portal
A Decrease font size. A Reset font size. A Increase font size.
- Executive Education
- Batch Profile
- Programme Fee
- Webinar Videos
- Student Corner
- Executive Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Management & Artificial Intelligence
- नेतृत्व विकास कार्यक्रम
- Online Enquiry
- Short Duration On-campus Programmes
- Registration Process
- Advanced Certificate Programme In Business and Data Analytics
- Executive Post Graduate Certificate Programme in Management (EPGCPM) Batch 04
- Executive Program in Global Business Management (Batch 02)
- Advanced Human Resource Management Programme for HR Leaders (Batch 04)
- Post Graduate Certificate Programme for Emerging CFOs Batch-03
- Post Graduate Certificate Programme in Investment Banking (PGCPIB), Batch-06
- Certificate Programme in Applied Financial Risk Management (CPAFRM Batch 02)
- Executive Programme in Marktech and AI Driven Marketing
- Post Graduate Certificate Programme in International Accounting and Analytics (PGCIAA 02)
- Post Graduate Certificate Programme in Family Business Management & Entrepreneurship (PGCP -FBM&E) Batch 01
- Senior Management Programme (SMP)
- Advance Programme in Corporate Strategy & Business Leadership Batch -1
- Advanced Management Programme for Corporate Leaders (Batch 05)
- Certificate Programme in Leadership and Change Management (CPLCM) Batch 04
Executive Certificate Programme in Strategy & Leadership for Senior Professionals (Batch 5)
- Chief Digital Transformation Officer Programme (Batch 01)
- Executive Programme in Blockchain and FinTech for Business (EPBFB) (Batch 02)
- Executive Programme in Cyber Security for Organizations [EPCSO]
- Executive Programme in Digital Transformation (EPDT) Batch 05
- Executive Programme in Branding & Advertising (Batch 02)
- Post Graduate Certificate Programme for Emerging CMOs
- Certificate Programme in Digital Marketing and Strategy (CPDMS) Batch 05
- Executive Programme in Advanced Marketing Management – Batch 3
- Executive Programme in Sales & Marketing (Batch 04)
- Certificate Programme in Project Management (CPPM)
- Executive Programme in Operations and Supply Chain Management (EPO&SCM) Batch 04
- Corporate and Public Leadership in a VUCA World (Batch 02)
- Executive Programme in Healthcare Management (EPHM) Batch 02
- Executive Certificate Programme in General Management (Batch 04)
- Executive Programme in Digital Marketing (Asynchronous) (Batch 08)
- Advanced Management Programme for Senior Leaders
- General Management Programme for Executives in Dubai
- General Management Programme for Executives for other Middle East Countries
- Strategic Financial Management Programme for Executives
- Strategic Marketing Management Programme in Digital World for Executives
- General Management Programme for Executives (GMPE)
- Accelerated Leadership Programme
- CCBMDO Admission
- Placement Committee
- Placement Committee CPIBM
- Certificate Programme in Global Supply Chain Management for Defence Officers
- Executive Alumni
- Message from Chair
- Annual 5-week Faculty Development Programme (FDP)
- Specialized Short Duration FDPs
- Customized FDPs
- MDP Calendar
- Rural Engagement Programme (REP)
- Himalayan Outbound Programme
- Industry Interface Programme for PGP Students
- Social Sensitivity at IIMI
- IIM Indore Videos
- SIG – Special Interest Groups
Executive Certificate Programme in Strategy & Leadership for Senior Professionals (Batch 5)
Associate for Technical and Student Support:
Times Professional Learning, A Division of Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd.
This programme is designed to help senior professionals strengthen their leadership capabilities required to thrive in a world of increasing uncertainty and volatility. In-class discussions and perspectives from participants from various fields will enhance their understanding of business trends and strategies that can be employed by their organizations.
- Develop a better understanding of the various businesses and their functions.
- Enhance strategic thinking & implementation
- Effectively Lead and manage teams & organizations
- Understand and respond to disruptive challenges
- Contextually designed for working executives
- Programme faculty team includes the best of the domain experts
- Pragmatic approach and focus on real business cases
Duration & Number of Session Hours
Duration: 12 Months
Number of Sessions (75 Minutes each): 135
Number of Hours: Approx. 169
Online: 123 sessions
On-campus module of 3 days duration: around 12 sessions
One or two sessions from some of the courses will become part of the on-campus orientation module. In case the on-campus module is not conducted due to Covid situation, the same will be included in the total number of sessions of the online module.
*T he programme duration may be slightly extended due to the issues like faculty unavailability and gazetted holidays on the session days.
The on-campus module will be after the completion of examinations of all the modules.
The pedagogy will be a judicious mix of lectures, case discussions, project work, term papers, and assignments etc.
Performance of participants will be monitored on a continuous evaluation basis through quizzes, assignments, tests and examinations. The participant is required to score minimum marks/grades as decided by the Institute from time to time to complete the course.
Successful Completion Certificate by IIM Indore in a valedictory ceremony to be held on the campus.
* Sample certificate is indicative. The Institute reserves the right to revise it.
**The Completion certificate will only be awarded to participants who complete the programme evolution and attendance criteria.
- Diploma (10+2+3)/ Bachelor’s Degree (10+2+3 or 10+2+4) / Master’s Degree (or its equivalent) from Universities recognized by the Association of Indian Universities, UGC or AICTE, with minimum 50% aggregate marks in either Diploma or Bachelor’s or Master’s (or its equivalent).
- Minimum of ten years of work experience post completion of qualifying education.
How the Courses will be Delivered:
Sessions will be delivered through on-line mode using an appropriate technology Synchronized platform. Lectures will be delivered through broadband based technology involving two-way audio and video communication. Sessions will be held once in a week on weekends. Participants can attend sessions directly from their desktop/laptop (Direct-2-device). Participants will be provided reading materials etc. for each course. They may also interact with the concerned faculty through e-mails/ chat mode.
Considering that the batch would be diverse, i.e. participants from different functional areas, the content of some of the courses would focus on developing an understanding of functional areas before exploring strategic dimensions of decision making.
The academic sessions will start from December, 2023. Sessions will be held on every Sunday.
The normal timing of the sessions will be as follows:
First session: 9.00 AM to 10.15 AM
Second session: 10.30 AM to 11.45 AM
*Third session: 7.30 PM to 8.45 PM on weekday
*Third session will be scheduled on either Wednesday or Friday for timely completion of the program.
The time gap between two consecutive sessions is to give the participants a break. On some days, the classes may extend beyond the mentioned time. In addition to attending interactive sessions, participants have to undertake online quizzes, assignments, and examinations.
Programme Activity Timelines
Total Fees and Payment Schedule*
* In case of participants paying fees via NEFT, RTGS, IMPS, Cheque, DD will get a waiver of 1.5% (up to INR 6,800/-) on the Overall fees of INR 4,61,100/-.
*Exact Dates will be notified later.
The participants who will complete the programme successfully will be eligible for the Executive Education Alumni status of IIM Indore. They will apply separately for the same along with the necessary fee to register their name. Current alumni membership plans are as follows:
- 2-year membership – INR 1000/- + applicable taxes
- Lifetime membership – INR 10,000/- + applicable taxes
Benefits available to Executive Education Alumni: 1) Communication of brochures and newsletters from IIM Indore, 2) Access to the IIM Indore Campus Library (onsite access only), 3) Official email ID of the institute, 4) ID Card.
Mere successful completion of the programme, application submission, and payment of fee does not entitle a participant to be eligible for executive education alumni status. IIM Indore reserves the right to confer or withhold executive education alumni status.
IIM Indore reserves the right to modify the above conditions at its discretion at any time without notice.
Only the courts at Indore, India will have the territorial jurisdiction to try any disputes arising in respect of the Executive Alumni membership being granted.
For more details: https://www.iimidr.ac.in/executive-programmes/executive-alumni/
For more details contact: [email protected]
You may also contact Academic Counsellor of our technical partner Times Professional Learning, A Division of Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. for this programme on: [email protected]
- Business Management
Top 10 strategic management courses in chennai, india.
List of available Strategic Management Courses in Chennai, India.
The Strategic Management courses in Chennai are provided by the following institutes:
- CFI, Online
- Tutorials Point, Online
- Win Training, Chennai
- Jaro Education, Chennai
- Prime Educators, Chennai
- Udemy, Online
- Coursera, Online
- MasterClass, Online
- edX, Online
- Lead Academy, Online
Also, check out all Strategic Management Courses from all over India .
- Online Strategic Management Courses
Corporate & Business Strategy
The course is designed to guide you through a comprehensive strategic analysis process, and demonstrate the application of theories into real-world business situations.
- Duration Approx 7.5 Hours
Geoff introduces a ‘step by step’ approach that will give you a clear direction when creating your strategic
- Price $9.49
- Duration 1 Hour
Strategic Planning & Brand Image Building Training
Strategic Planning and Brand Image Building training is offered by Win Training for all skill level.
- Price Inquire Now
- Duration Please Enquire
- Location Chennai
- Contact Now
Programme On Strategic Management
Executive Education Programme on ‘Strategic Management’ will help participants in developing a mindset and learning tools/ways to analyse the internal and external environment of the organisation, formulate a strategy for their organisations, and then implement it.
- Duration 6 Months
- Location Velachery, Chennai
Strategic planning course is offered by Prime Educators. Starting on an important project without effective planning is like searching for treasure without a map. The chances of success will be zero and the same thing will apply to any business or Corporation.
Strategic Management - Basic
Strategic management is nothing but planning for both predictable as well as unfeasible contingencies.
- Price $11.99
- Duration 30m
Strategic Management Course by Copenhagen Business School
- Duration Approx 11 Hours
Business Strategy and Leadership
Bob Iger Teaches Business Strategy and Leadership
- Duration 2h 11m
Learn how a manager or CEO develops a business strategy, including analyzing the market and creating competitive advantage.
- Duration 5 Weeks
Strategic Management Diploma Course
This extensive course is ideal for those who want to master the components of strategic management, its process, and learn how to formulate a strategy perfectly. You will have a basic overview of strategic management, strategy, types of decisions, qualities of a strategic leader, and business polic...
- Duration 2 Hours
Important Legal Notice: Coursetakers.com participates in Affiliate Programs and this page contains affiliate links. Coursetakers is compensated for referring users to these companies.
- Upload Your Courses
- How It Works
- Coursetakers News
- Coursetakers News - UAE
- Delivery and Refund Policy
Get in touch with all the institutes
Claim this institute profile.
- Strategic Management
Learn strategic management with online courses and programs
What is strategic management.
Strategic management involves formulating and implementing strategies to achieve organizational goals. This process encompasses numerous tasks. Strategic management professionals are responsible for analyzing data, monitoring industry trends, assessing their organization's performance, developing plans to gain a competitive advantage, and allocating resources efficiently. Additionally, they monitor key performance indicators, evaluate strategic initiatives' outcomes, and make necessary adjustments to stay on track with organizational goals. Footnote 1
Applicable to a range of industries, strategic management offers key benefits. For instance, in the healthcare industry, strategic management practices can help practitioners identify underserved patient populations through market research, develop strategies to improve patient outcomes and satisfaction, and allocate resources to secure new technologies that enhance efficiency and quality of care.
Browse online strategic management courses New
Related topics, strategic management course curriculum.
Studying strategic management can look different for each learner. Some might get started with a beginner-level course that can focus on foundational subjects such as strategic management principles and concepts. Other topics covered may include market research, SWOT analysis, competitive advantages, and basic strategic decision-making processes.
Learners can delve deeper into the intricacies of strategic management with an intermediate strategic management course. They may learn advanced analytical techniques such as value chain analysis and scenario planning. Learners may gain insights into industry-specific strategic approaches by exploring case studies from various sectors. Relevant technologies used throughout the course could include advanced data analysis and market research tools, as well as strategic planning software.
With advanced courses, learners may have the opportunity to specialize in areas like healthcare, finance, or technology. These courses typically focus on complex concepts such as corporate governance, strategic leadership, mergers and acquisitions, global strategy, and agile project management. They may also examine cutting-edge technologies and trends shaping strategic management, such as artificial intelligence, business intelligence, blockchain, big data, and sustainability. These types of courses often include simulations and projects to provide practical applications of strategic management concepts.
Aspiring management professionals can discover tailored learning opportunities through edX. A bachelor’s degree program in business administration or a related subject can establish a foundation for careers in management. Master’s degree programs offer a more comprehensive exploration of a field. Alternatively, executive education courses designed for busy professionals, as well as accelerated boot camps provide shorter but focused learning experiences to quickly enhance a professional’s skill set.
Find the right path for you with edX.
Explore strategic management jobs
While strategic management careers span various fields, they have some commonalities. Professionals are trained to share insights with internal stakeholders, such as executives and department heads, to ensure strategy alignment and successful execution and implementation of that strategy. They may also collaborate with external stakeholders. To learn about specific responsibilities, explore these examples of strategic management jobs:
Strategic analyst: Performs extensive data analyses, market research, and competitive intelligence to identify trends, opportunities, and threats. They provide recommendations based on their analyses to support strategic decision-making and assist in formulating effective strategies. Footnote 2
Strategic planner: Responsible for developing and implementing strategic plans. They work closely with key stakeholders to define goals and assess the internal and external environment. From there, they create detailed action plans, allocate resources, and monitor progress to ensure successful execution of the strategy. Footnote 3
Strategic project manager: Oversees the execution of strategic initiatives and projects. They develop project plans, define objectives, allocate resources, and manage project teams. A crucial aspect of their role is monitoring progress to ensure alignment with the overall strategy and making necessary adjustments along the way. Footnote 4
Strategy consultant: Provides expert advice to organizations on strategic matters. Relying on insights from industry research, they work with clients to understand their goals, assess their competitive landscape, and develop tailored strategies that drive growth, increase efficiency, and improve overall performance. Footnote 5
Strategic marketing manager: Develops and executes marketing strategies that align with the overall goals of the organization. They conduct market analyses, identify target audiences, and define positioning and messaging strategies. Other key responsibilities include overseeing marketing campaigns, monitoring performance metrics, and making data-driven adjustments to optimize marketing efforts. Footnote 6
Business development manager: Focuses on identifying and pursuing growth opportunities for the organization. They conduct market research, analyze market trends, and evaluate potential partnerships or acquisitions. Then, they develop strategies to expand the customer base, enter new markets, or introduce new products and services. Footnote 7
Innovation manager: Drives the development and implementation of innovative strategies within organizations. They identify new market opportunities, foster a culture of innovation, and manage the innovation process from idea generation to commercialization. Day to day, they collaborate with cross-functional teams, facilitate brainstorming sessions, and leverage emerging technologies and trends to foster innovation. Footnote 8
Strategic management isn't just relevant in business; it affects everyday life too. From personal finances to career planning, strategic management principles can guide individuals in making informed choices and maximizing their chances of success by considering potential outcomes.
Enhance your strategic management skills with online courses delivered through edX.
More opportunities for you to learn
We've added 500+ learning opportunities to create one of the world's most comprehensive free-to-degree online learning platforms.
Master's degrees, bachelor's degrees.
Last updated August 2023
- Online Degree Explore Bachelor’s & Master’s degrees
- MasterTrack™ Earn credit towards a Master’s degree
- University Certificates Advance your career with graduate-level learning
- Top Courses
- Join for Free
- Strategic Management
This course is part of Strategic Management and Innovation Specialization
Taught in English
Some content may not be translated
Instructor: Robert Austin
Financial aid available
110,324 already enrolled
Skills you'll gain
- Strategic Thinking
- Strategic Planning
- Business Strategy
Details to know
Add to your LinkedIn profile
Available in English
Subtitles: Kazakh, German, Hindi, Russian, Swedish, Korean, Portuguese (Brazilian), Greek, English, Italian, French, Chinese (Simplified), Spanish, Arabic, Vietnamese, Thai, Ukrainian, Japanese, Indonesian, Polish, Dutch, Turkish
See how employees at top companies are mastering in-demand skills
Build your subject-matter expertise
- Learn new concepts from industry experts
- Gain a foundational understanding of a subject or tool
- Develop job-relevant skills with hands-on projects
- Earn a shareable career certificate
Earn a career certificate
Add this credential to your LinkedIn profile, resume, or CV
Share it on social media and in your performance review
There are 5 modules in this course
The world of business strategy is in transition. What used to work doesn't anymore -- not necessarily.
This course prepares you to think strategically in an age when companies like Apple, Google, and Microsoft have become more valuable (in market cap terms) than companies like Exxon. Today, business value and competitive advantage arise more often from consumer perceptions of what is "cool" than from physical assets or economies of scale. In this course -- the first of a three-course specialization tailored specifically for the age of creativity and innovation -- you will gear up for the challenges of strategy formulation and implementation in a 21st century business. After taking the course, you'll be able to: - Explain why "doing" strategy is considered "the high point of managerial activity" (Mintzberg); - Recognize and avoid the old, tired ideas about strategy that are still out there, so you can adopt fresher, better ideas; - Point out how doing strategy has changed because of advancing technology and globalization; - Prepare for the Capstone Project for the Strategic Management and Innovation Specialization
A 21st Century Approach to Business Strategy
A short intro to the Course.
2 videos • total 4 minutes.
- A Creative Company CEO Calls for a New Approach • 1 minute • Preview module
- Introduction to the Course • 3 minutes
What is strategy? And why do we care about it?
Strategy can mean a lot of things. In this module, you'll encounter examples of strategy in action that demonstrate what people mean when they talk about strategy. After completion of the module, you'll be able to: Describe examples of strategy in action; Recognize "strategic situations"; Explain the difference between strategy as "position" and strategy as "capability" (and why that matters).
10 videos 9 readings 5 quizzes
10 videos • Total 39 minutes
- What Strategy Is... • 5 minutes • Preview module
- What Strategy Is...continued • 3 minutes
- What Strategy Is...more examples • 1 minute
- What Strategy Is...Still More • 1 minute
- What Strategy Is...Conclusions • 0 minutes
- What's a Strategic Situation (and what isn't)? • 9 minutes
- Strategy's Most Famous Thought Leader: Michael Porter • 1 minute
- The Main Ideas in Porter's "What is Strategy?" • 3 minutes
- Criticisms of Porter's Strategy as Position Approach • 5 minutes
- The Alternative View: Strategy as Capability • 6 minutes
9 readings • Total 90 minutes
- More on Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish • 10 minutes
- Apple iPod + iTunes and Yael Naim • 10 minutes
- Oldest McDonalds Video • 10 minutes
- A Strategic Ploy? • 10 minutes
- Summary of Mintzberg's Five Ps of Strategy • 10 minutes
- Prisoner's Dilemma Matrices • 10 minutes
- More on the Prisoner's Dilemma • 10 minutes
- Michael Porter's "What is Strategy?" • 10 minutes
- Mintzberg vs Porter • 10 minutes
5 quizzes • Total 150 minutes
- What do YOU think? • 30 minutes
- Which way do YOU lean? • 30 minutes
- The Meanings of "Strategy" • 30 minutes
- Recognizing Strategic Situations • 30 minutes
- Strategy as Position vs Capability • 30 minutes
The Evolution of Strategy...Past Progress, Past Mistakes
Historically, strategy consulting and strategic planning have been big business. Companies have spent a lot over the years on sophisticated, high-brow "strategic" consulting. For a long time, consultants were the strategy "high-priests" of business. Until it all fell apart. Many past approaches have now fallen into disfavor, having risen spectacularly and failed even more spectacularly. Indeed, the history of business strategy making could be called a "March of Folly" (historian Barbara Tuchman uses this expression to describe a tendency in human history to repeat the same mistakes, again and again). This module explores what the past can teach us, how we might avoid repeating past mistakes.
5 videos 5 readings 1 quiz
5 videos • Total 41 minutes
- Early Approaches to Business Strategy • 8 minutes • Preview module
- Strategy, Scripted and Programmed • 9 minutes
- The BCG Matrix and Growth Curve • 11 minutes
- Strategy as Multi-faceted Analysis • 7 minutes
- What We Can Learn... • 4 minutes
5 readings • Total 50 minutes
- The military antecedents of business strategy • 10 minutes
- Critiques of Strategic Planning • 10 minutes
- BCG's Big Ideas • 10 minutes
- Post Mortems for Porter's Approach? • 10 minutes
- Where the History of Business Strategy Leaves Us • 10 minutes
1 quiz • Total 30 minutes
- Learning from the History of Business Strategy • 30 minutes
Changing World, Changing Strategies
In the past several decades, a lot has changed in the world. Many more people and nations (China, India, Russia, etc) have joined the global market economy. The number of Internet users has skyrocketed and continues dramatically upward. Shipping traffic between countries has multiplied and also continues to grow. All this world change has changed the strategy situation of most companies in a big way. It means, for example, that companies in advanced economies have to compete against rivals that have structural cost advantages, because they operate in lower cost parts of the world. This module describes the shifted and shifting strategy landscape, due to the advance of technology and the relentless march of globalization.
5 videos • Total 42 minutes
- Comparing 1975 and Today • 7 minutes • Preview module
- How Products, Services, and Work Now Move Easily Around the Globe • 10 minutes
- How the Competitive Game Shifts in a Globalized World • 6 minutes
- The World's Most Sophisticated Differentiation Strategies? • 11 minutes
- Aesthetics...the Last Frontier of Sustainable Advantage? • 7 minutes
- Internet Growth, Shipping Traffic Growth • 10 minutes
- The Realities of the Globalised World • 10 minutes
- Examples of Shifts to Differentiation Strategies - Wal-Mart, McDonalds • 10 minutes
- The Future of Competitive Strategy? The Example of Vipp • 10 minutes
- Hyper Competition and Hyper Differentiation Described • 10 minutes
- Strategic Implications of Changes in the World • 30 minutes
Capstone Project Intro -- Strategy in a 21st Century Creative Company
An up-and-coming (and very ambitious) design firm is unexpectedly invited to bid for a work against more prominent competitors. The job: Design the logo and other elements of the public identity of the national sports team. Winning will vault e-Types to much greater prominence. Their work will be displayed on TV and on t-shirts. And they believe they have what it takes to win. But there's a problem. The e-Types designers, who have always thought of themselves as design revolutionaries, don't like the guidance they're receiving from this somewhat conservative client. In short, the designers think what the client is asking for is BORING. It's not the kind of work they want to do or be known for...now or ever! Meanwhile, more business oriented e-Types managers and staff can hardly believe what they're hearing from the designers -- don't they see the opportunity? This is business and there's money to be made. The designers should GET OVER THEMSELVES and satisfy the customer. Right? Controversy grips e-Types. At stake: what kind of company will they be going forward? Can they continue to be revolutionary and still satisfy their growth ambitions? Or is it time for them to "grow up" in order to appeal to a wider range of customers. The battle is on for the soul of this company -- what will YOU recommend?
5 videos 4 readings 1 peer review
5 videos • Total 11 minutes
- Meet e-Types - A 21st Century Creative Company • 1 minute • Preview module
- e-Types execs explaining how they think about their business • 2 minutes
- A Major Controversy - At Stake: The Future and Soul of the Company • 4 minutes
- e-Types partners debating which design to present to TD • 1 minute
- Questions We Ask You To Consider... • 1 minute
4 readings • Total 40 minutes
- Some Samples of e-Types Work • 10 minutes
- IMPORTANT Additional Details on Your Final Assignment • 10 minutes
- References and Additional Resources • 10 minutes
- One last thing... • 10 minutes
1 peer review • Total 60 minutes
- Which Design • 60 minutes
We asked all learners to give feedback on our instructors based on the quality of their teaching style.
Centrally located in Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark, Copenhagen Business School (CBS) is one of the largest business schools in Europe with close to 23,000 students. CBS offers world-class research-based degree programs at undergraduate, graduate, and PhD levels as well as executive and other post experience programs.
Recommended if you're interested in Business Strategy
Copenhagen Business School
Strategic Management and Innovation
Coursera Project Network
Unreal para Principiantes: Crea videojuegos
Why people choose Coursera for their career
Showing 3 of 4187
Reviewed on May 18, 2020
Really loved this course. The CBS and Robert Austin do a fantastic job of breaking down the history and theories of Strategic Management. The course is concise, digestible and enjoyable.
Reviewed on May 10, 2020
Very Good Course if you are looking to understand the meaning and importance of Strategic Management. The best part of this course is the examples and real time case study. Definitely worth it.
Reviewed on Nov 13, 2020
I am so happy for this course. It is a very high quality and interesting course. I have learnt a lot and can recommend to anyone interested in innovation strategy. Gets better with every lesson!
New to Business Strategy? Start here.
Open new doors with Coursera Plus
Unlimited access to 7,000+ world-class courses, hands-on projects, and job-ready certificate programs - all included in your subscription
Advance your career with an online degree
Earn a degree from world-class universities - 100% online
Join over 3,400 global companies that choose Coursera for Business
Upskill your employees to excel in the digital economy
Frequently asked questions
When will i have access to the lectures and assignments.
Access to lectures and assignments depends on your type of enrollment. If you take a course in audit mode, you will be able to see most course materials for free. To access graded assignments and to earn a Certificate, you will need to purchase the Certificate experience, during or after your audit. If you don't see the audit option:
The course may not offer an audit option. You can try a Free Trial instead, or apply for Financial Aid.
The course may offer 'Full Course, No Certificate' instead. This option lets you see all course materials, submit required assessments, and get a final grade. This also means that you will not be able to purchase a Certificate experience.
What will I get if I subscribe to this Specialization?
When you enroll in the course, you get access to all of the courses in the Specialization, and you earn a certificate when you complete the work. Your electronic Certificate will be added to your Accomplishments page - from there, you can print your Certificate or add it to your LinkedIn profile. If you only want to read and view the course content, you can audit the course for free.
What is the refund policy?
If you subscribed, you get a 7-day free trial during which you can cancel at no penalty. After that, we don’t give refunds, but you can cancel your subscription at any time. See our full refund policy Opens in a new tab .
Is financial aid available?
Yes. In select learning programs, you can apply for financial aid or a scholarship if you can’t afford the enrollment fee. If fin aid or scholarship is available for your learning program selection, you’ll find a link to apply on the description page.
Strategic Management Courses
- Social Sciences
Practical Improvement Science in Health Care: A Roadmap for Getting Results
Learn the skills and tools of improvement science to make positive changes in health, healthcare, and your daily life.
Develop the skills to lead with courage and conviction through challenging times with this free, 35-minute Harvard Business School (HBS) Online lesson.
Start thinking like the top strategists with this course from Harvard Business School (HBS) Online.
Business Strategy: Evaluating and Executing the Strategic Plan
Explore the concepts and tools of strategic business management. Learn more about the organizational strategy within which managers make decisions and how it relates to competitive advantage.
Strategic Project Management
Plan, manage, and execute projects that are essential to the success of your business.
Beyond Strategic Planning: From Implementation to Sustainment
Successfully navigate the challenges inherent in making your organizational, departmental, and project-specific plans come to life.
Design Thinking: Creating Better Customer Experiences
Learn how the principles of design thinking can help fuel the success of your organization.
Leading More Effective Teams
Enhance your team’s productivity to boost your organization’s capabilities.
Strategy Execution for Public Leadership
Join Harvard Kennedy School faculty and former Pentagon Chief of Staff Eric Rosenbach to learn how to develop strategies for public leadership success.
Advanced Business Strategy: Gaining a Competitive Edge
Learn a new framework for developing a business strategy that maximizes your competitive advantage and disrupts the competition.
Leading Your Organization's Digital Transformation
Create actionable transformation strategies to make your leadership and your organization more innovative and more competitive.
Enhance your ability to creatively problem-solve for the demands of working in ‘the new normal'.
Disruptive Innovation: Leveraging Multi-Sided Platforms
Develop the strategies and skills you need to design, launch, and scale a successful and sustainable multi-sided digital platform.
Strategy: Building and Sustaining Competitive Advantage
Look ahead, analyze strategic tradeoffs, and craft groundbreaking strategies for staying ahead of the competition—today and in the future.
Strategies for Leading Successful Change Initiatives: Mastery Session
Drive organizational change with innovative change management strategies and roadmaps for action.
Business Strategy Programs at Harvard
Contribute to Your Organization’s Success
Develop your ability to innovate, think strategically, and gain a competitive advantage for your organization through our intensive business strategy programs. Explore proven business theories and strategic tools through hands-on exercises, interactive lectures, and dynamic discussions.
Advanced business strategy training: gaining a competitive edge.
Learn a new framework for developing a business strategy that maximizes your competitive advantage and disrupts the competition.
Agile Leadership: Transforming Mindsets and Capabilities in Your Organization
Learn how you can harness the agile revolution to lead more flexible, innovative, and successful teams.
Artificial Intelligence in Business: Creating Value with Machine Learning
Leverage new technologies to build value for your organization.
Behavioral Decision Making
Gain the critical knowledge and tools you need to make smarter decisions for your organization — and yourself.
Beyond Strategic Planning: From Implementation to Sustainment
Successfully navigate the challenges inherent in making your organizational, departmental, and project-specific plans come to life.
Brand Revitalization: A Comprehensive Brand Strategy Course
Develop a brand strategy to harness your brand’s core purpose, help it stay fresh, and ensure customer loyalty.
Building Organizational Cultures: A Framework for Leaders
Critically assess how culture affects organizations and learn how to create an environment that promotes advancement of people.
Business Strategy: Evaluating and Executing the Strategic Plan
Explore the concepts and tools of strategic business management.
Creative Thinking: Innovative Solutions to Complex Challenges
Learn how to grow a culture of creativity to innovate competitive solutions.
Design Thinking: Creating Better Customer Experiences
Learn how the principles of design thinking can help fuel the success of your organization.
Foundations of Data-Driven Decision Making
Understand the characteristics and applications of data sets in order to communicate effectively with your teams and develop business strategies.
How to Build a Sustainable Organization: Challenges, Opportunities, and Strategies – 4 Week Course
Develop the tools and frameworks you need to incorporate sustainability practices into your business model.
Innovation and Strategy
Strengthen your organization’s capacity to drive innovation and achieve greater results.
Marketing Analytics Online Course: Strategies for Driving Business Results
Gain a deeper understanding of marketing analytics used in making strategic decisions across key functions.
Product Management Online Course: From Design to Launch
Learn the important business skills you need to be an effective product manager and build, launch, and grow successful products.
Real Estate Investments: Assets, Markets, and Current Trends, 2-day Session
Master the fundamentals and practicalities of real estate investing.
Starting and Building Your Consulting Business
Develop the critical skills you need to successfully launch and scale a thriving consulting business.
Strategic Project Management
Plan, manage, and execute projects that are essential to the success of your business.
Strategic Sales Management
Learn proven sales management strategies and techniques to lead yourself, your direct reports, and your organization.
Supply Chain Management: Frameworks for Resilient and Agile Supply Chains
Learn how to use supply chain analytics to reduce costs, manage inventory as consumer needs evolve, and make strategic decisions.
The Consultant’s Toolkit: Consulting Training
Refine your consulting abilities through proven techniques to improve organizational effectiveness.
Harvard Division of Continuing Education
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) at Harvard University is dedicated to bringing rigorous academics and innovative teaching capabilities to those seeking to improve their lives through education. We make Harvard education accessible to lifelong learners from high school to retirement.
- Youth Program
- Wharton Online
Professional Certificate in Strategic Management
Offering high-quality products and services at competitive prices is no longer a sufficient business strategy. Increased competition and an evolving digital landscape demand more from organizations and their leaders.
Enhance your leadership capabilities and learn how to develop sustainable, successful business strategies with the Professional Certificate in Strategic Management from Wharton. Offering practical lecture knowledge and hands-on application of concepts, this program teaches you how to decrease costs, increase operational efficiencies, and improve customer experiences.
Created by world-renowned professors at the Wharton School, the Professional Certificate in Strategic Management walks you through how technology has changed the way businesses interact with customers and why this necessitates connected strategies. This program of business strategy courses is designed for managers and leaders of all industries who want to better identify, amplify, and sustain the competitive advantage of their businesses.
Why Study Strategic Management?
- 61% of senior executives admit that their companies have a hard time bridging the gap between strategic planning and implementation. 1
- Only 40% of employees strongly feel their managers comprehend the goals and strategy of their company. 2
- Only 41% of employees feel their companies have the competent personnel necessary to execute strategic initiatives. 3
1 https://www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public/pdf/learning/thought-leadership/why-good-strategies-fail-report.pdf 2 http://georgejamesltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/What-Employees-Really-Think-about-Todays-Workplace.pdf 3 https://www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public/pdf/learning/thought-leadership/why-good-strategies-fail-report.pdf
Start Dates: Enroll Immediately
Duration: 6 weeks per course
Commitment: 2-4 hours per week
Program Format: 100% Online
Program Tuition: $537.30 $199 (per individual course)
READY TO START?
Professional certificate in strategic management course descriptions, business strategy from wharton: competitive advantage, course description.
Price: $199 Duration: 6 weeks Hours: 3-4/week
What sets your organization apart from others? How can you maximize and sustain its impact over time? Understanding and maintaining your competitive advantage is no small task.
Business Strategy from Wharton: Competitive Advantage will give you the tools and frameworks necessary to execute a well-designed strategy. You’ll understand the drivers and barriers of competitive advantage so you can sustain your distinct advantage. You’ll also learn how to assess the impact of your competitors’ strategies.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to enhance your strategy to maximize your competitive advantage and drive revenue growth.
- Analyze Your Firm’s Internal Fit
- Analyze Your Firm’s External Fit
- Maintaining Your Firm’s Dynamic Fit
- Creating New Strategies and Initiatives
Participants Will Learn How To:
- Evaluate your firm’s strategic environment
- Distinguish between organizational effectiveness and strategic positioning
- Identify barriers to organizational change and strategy implementation
- Map central and supporting firm activities, understanding how they interact with each other
- Engage in sustainable strategic management and planning
INTRODUCTION TO CONNECTED STRATEGY
Price: $199 Duration: 6 weeks Hours: 2-4/week
Technology has fundamentally changed the way businesses operate and how leaders engage in the strategic management of their firms. Understanding the customer journey has become essential to creating and executing connected strategies.
Connected Strategy examines how technology has evolved and changed the ways businesses interact with their customers. Professors Christian Terwiesch and Nicolaj Siggelkow will walk you through the connected customer experience and how connected delivery models are used in various industries. You’ll learn about connected strategy examples and analyze existing frameworks that can inform connected relationship design.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to identify, assess and implement connected strategies for your organization.
- Connected Strategy and Value Proposition
- Connected Customer Experience and Customization
- Connected Producers and Connected Strategy Matrix
- Revenue Model, Technology Infrastructure, and Disruptive Innovation
- Analyze innovation frameworks and value propositions
- Identify connected relationships and their potential for your firm
- Examine customer experiences as they relate to the greater customer journey
- Create customization strategies by leveraging positive customer feedback loops
- Develop connection architecture and connected customer relationship strategies for your business
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT CAPSTONE
You understand connected relationships, but how can you apply this knowledge to excel the strategic management of your firm?
Connected Strategy Capstone Project provides you with the necessary tools to ideate, plan and execute a connected strategy for your business. Tailored worksheets and lecture videos from Professors Siggelkow and Terwiesch will guide you through each step of connected strategy creation. The final capstone project will be a combination of your worksheets and analysis of the strategy you created.
Throughout the capstone project, you’ll be able to reflect on your organization and develop actionable strategies.
- Connected Customer Experience
- Connected Customer Experience Strategy
- Connected Delivery Model Strategy
- Apply the concepts learned in the Connected Strategy course
- Approach connected strategy planning and creation
- Move beyond traditional customer interactions to create a new business model
- Create a connected customer experience and connected delivery model for any organization
- Envision and develop a connected strategy that can be directly applied to your business
Want it all? Take the complete program for $537.30.
Key certificate program takeaways, participants will learn how to:.
- Identify business’ competitive advantages
- Amplify competitive advantages and drive profits
- Leverage connected strategies to create continuous customer relationships
- Transcend traditional forms of customer interaction and adopt new business models
- Achieve sustainable competitive advantage
Professional Certificate in Strategic Management Faculty
Andrew M. Heller Professor at the Wharton School Professor of Operations, Information and Decisions Professor of Health Policy, Perelman School of Medicine Co-Director, Mack Institute of Innovation Management
Faculty Research Interests
He is a Professor in Wharton’s Operations, Information and Decisions department, co-director of Penn’s Mack Institute for Innovation Management, and also holds a faculty appointment In Penn’s Perelman School of Medicine. His research on Operations Management and on Innovation Management appears in many of the leading academic journals ranging from Management Science to The New England Journal of Medicine. He is an award-winning teacher with extensive experience in MBA teaching and executive education.
Professor Terwiesch is the co-author of Matching Supply with Demand, a widely used text-book in Operations Management that is now in its third edition. Based on this book, Professor Terwiesch has launched the first Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) in business on Coursera. By now, well over 250,000 students enrolled in the course.
His latest book, Innovation Tournaments, was published by Harvard Business School Press. The novel, process-based approach to innovation outlined in the book was featured by BusinessWeek, the Financial Times, and the Sloan Management Review and has lead to innovation tournaments in organizations around the world.
Professor Terwiesch has researched with and consulted for various organizations. From small start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, he has helped companies become more innovative, often by implementing innovation tournament events and by helping to restructure their innovation portfolio.
Most of his current work relates to healthcare and innovation management. In the healthcare space, some of Professor Terwiesch recent projects include the design of patient centered care processes in the VA hospital system, the impact of emergency room crowding on hospital revenues and the patient experience at Penn Medicine, and the usage of patient portals and remote patient monitoring.
In addition to his teaching and his research, Professor Terwiesch is experimenting with a new career as a host of a national radio show on Sirius XM 132. Also, after 20 years of Ironman racing, he is trying to become a competitive rower, a transition that unfortunately turns out to be harder than expected.
David M. Knott Professor Professor of Management Co-Director of the Mack Institute for Innovation Management
He studied Economics at Stanford University and earned an M.A. in Economics from Harvard University. He received a Ph.D. in Business Economics from Harvard University and the Harvard Business School. Professor Siggelkow has been the recipient of multiple MBA and Undergraduate Excellence in Teaching Awards, including the Class of 1984 Award presented to the faculty member with the highest teaching rating in the MBA classroom, the Helen Kardon Moss Anvil Teaching Award, the Wharton Award, and the Wharton Graduate Association Student Choice Award. His research has been published in the leading management journals, including Academy of Management Journal, Administrative Science Quarterly, Journal of Industrial Economics, Management Science, Organization Science, and Strategic Organization. In 2008, he received the Administrative Science Quarterly Scholarly Contribution Award for the most significant paper published in ASQ five years earlier. Nicolaj is a member of the Editorial Review Boards of Administrative Science Quarterly, Organization Science, Strategic Management Journal, Strategic Organization, and Academy of Management Perspectives.
His current research focuses on the strategic and organizational implications of interactions among a firm’s choices of activities and resources. In particular, his research has focused on three broad questions: How do firms develop, grow and adjust their set of activities over time? How does organizational design affect a firm’s ability to find high-performing sets of activities? What role do interactions among a firm’s activities play in creating and sustaining competitive advantage? To address these questions, he has employed a range of methodological approaches, including in-depth field studies of individual firms, econometric methods for large-scale data sets, formal modeling, and simulation models.
Download Our Guide: Learning to Lead Multi-Generational Teams
This free downloadable eBook offers expert insights and practical advice on how to talk to, motivate, and manage Millennials, Gen Xers, and Baby Boomers.
The Wharton School is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) and is authorized to issue the IACET CEU.
Extended Round 1 Deadline for Working Professional MBA programs: November 17. Decisions before the new year.
Enter a Search Term
Strategic management ph.d., earn a ph.d. in business and a major concentration in strategic management to prepare for a career at top academic institutions.
The Ph.D. in Business and a Major Concentration in Strategic Management provides course work in the base theories in strategic management. The field of strategic management studies big picture issues facing managers of firms, such as deciding what markets and industries to enter, how to enter and exit various markets, how to position the firm in the market in order to gain competitive advantage, and the timing, sequencing, and orchestration of competitive initiatives. Topics in strategic management include: Competitive strategy, resource allocation and corporate strategy, strategic decision processes, international and emerging market strategies, knowledge and innovation management, strategic entrepreneurship, corporate governance, and environment and non-market strategies.
The main goal of the strategic management doctoral program is to train students to do high-quality research in any of these areas and to prepare them for careers as mainstream professors of strategic management at top academic research institutions. To achieve this goal, Ph.D. students are required to take courses in strategic management, research methods and statistics, as well as possible disciplinary elective courses in economics, psychology and political science, and to write research papers examining important and relevant issues in strategic management. The program also has a teaching requirement to the extent that teaching opportunities are available.
Interested in Rice Business?
Rice Business offers an outstanding program for doctoral students interested in strategic management.
In addition to the requirements described in Chapters 1 and 6 of this guide, doctoral students who have chosen strategic management as their area must satisfy the following requirements for a Ph.D. degree.
Course, Research Work and Dissertation Advisor
- The student’s course work must be approved by the area faculty advisor.
- During the student’s first two years, he or she must take a minimum of 12 hours of approved graduate level courses per semester.
- Course work includes a combination of required and elective courses. The required courses are listed in the attached course sample sequence.
- The student is expected to attend all research seminars organized in the strategic management area during the student’s tenure in the Ph.D. program. Moreover, during the second and third years, the student must formally register for the strategic management research seminars and attend presentations of SE faculty as well as those of faculty members from other business schools who visit the SE area to present their research.
- Students are expected to be fully engaged in research during the Ph.D. program, especially during all the summers, including the summer after the first year of their residency in the Ph.D. program.
- Students must have a Jones School SE faculty member who has agreed to serve as their dissertation advisor by the end of the spring semester of their third year in the program.
- From the second year onwards, students are required to give at least one research presentation every year in front of faculty and other doctoral students. Such presentations should demonstrate that the student is making adequate progress in his/her research. The presentation requirement may be fulfilled in the fall of the second and third years by presenting the required research paper and other research projects. It is the student’s responsibility to schedule this yearly presentation, together with his/her advisor and/or the strategic management area advisor.
- Having teaching experience is important for doctoral students to perform well in the academic job market. As such, we require students in the SE area to have a teaching experience. In the third year of the program, all students receive an opportunity to be a teaching assistant for SE faculty in strategic courses at the Jones School. Moreover, to the extent that teaching opportunities are available, we require students to teach at least one semester course as the primary instructor before entering the job market.
Students must successfully pass a comprehensive exam administered by the SE faculty at the end of the second year. The exam is administered and graded by SE faculty, under the supervision of the strategic management area advisor or special committee set up for this purpose. The exam includes two parts:
- Part I focuses on the coursework taken in strategic management and measures the student’s knowledge of the area as a whole including base theories, main strategy research topics, and research methods.
- Part II requires writing a paper as a take-home exam (generally within 48 hours) on a topic jointly discussed between two SE faculty and the student; it focuses on the student’s ability to write a research paper establishing a contribution to the designated literature and also includes research methods and study design.
A successful performance in the exam demonstrates the student’s solid training in strategic management and provide the foundation from which he or she begins the research that forms the basis of the dissertation.
Research Paper Requirements
Students are required to write one major paper in their first two years, either sole-authored or coauthored with a faculty member(s) in the SE area. This paper is proposed in the spring semester of the second year and completed at the beginning of the fall semester of the third year. The bulk of the work on the paper is intended to be done in the summer. The paper is intended as (1) a developmental vehicle for the student and (2) that will result in publications in top quality journals (although credit is not dependent on publication).
The student is expected to take the lead on the project (in the manner of a lead author) and should individually decide (perhaps in collaboration with an SE area faculty member) on what topic the student will work. The paper must be approved by two tenure-track SE faculty members (one is typically the student’s adviser). The student is expected to present the paper in a faculty workshop at the beginning of the fall semester of the third year. Failure to complete the Research Paper Requirements, as outlined above, will mean that the student is not making satisfactory academic progress in the Ph.D. Program. See Appendix B for research paper approval and evaluation forms.
The course curriculum is designed around a challenging course of study in both the theory of strategic management and in innovative empirical design. The sample course sequence is typical although the students might choose different courses across disciplines to structure a specific degree plan. Besides the required 1st and 2nd year Strategic management basic and advanced courses, students are required to take a microeconomics course as well as statistic and methodology courses. Doctoral students may continue taking courses beyond their second year. Sample Course Sequence in Strategic Leadership (Psychology Oriented)
Year 1 (Fall)
BUSI 540 Strategy Management Theory (3.0)
BUSI 549 Strategy Pro-seminar (3.0)
POLI 504 Methodology and Data Analysis (or equivalent-e.g., ECON 510)
PSYC 507 Research Methods (or equivalent)
Year 1 (Spring)
BUSI 541 Strategic Management Research (3.0)
BUSI 5XX Advanced Topics in Strategic Management (1.5 hours see courses below)
POLI 505 Topics in Political Methodology (or equivalent-e.g., ECON 511)
Year 2 (Fall)
BUSI 5XX Advanced Topics in Strategic Management (1.5 hours)
PSYC 601 Multivariate Statistics (or equivalent)
ECON 501 Microeconomic Theory I (or equivalent)
Year 2 (Spring)
BUSI 5XX Advanced Topics in Strategic Management (1.5 hours-see courses below)
BUSI 5XX Advanced Topics in Strategic Management (1.5 hours see courses below)
Examples of elective courses are:
BUSI 503 Econometric Models in Marketing
BUSI 504 Game Theory
BUSI 530 Introduction to Accounting Research
BUSI 531 Empirical Methods in Accounting
BUSI 522 Corporate Finance
BUSI 523 Empirical Methods in Finance
ECON 504 Advanced Economic Statistics
ECON 510 Econometrics I
ECON 510 Econometrics II
ECON 514 Industrial Organization and Control
ECON 523 Dynamic Optimization
STAT 522 Advanced Bayesian Statistics
STAT 541 Multivariate Analysis
STAT 606 SAS Statistical Programming
STAT 621 Time Series Analysis
STAT 622 Bayesian Data Analysis
PSYC 502 Advanced Psychological Statistics I
PSYC 503 Advanced Psychological Statistics II
PSYC 507 Research Methods
PSYC 601 Multivariate Statistics
PSYC 637 Meta-Analysis in Psychological Research
PSYC 550 Foundations of Social Psychology
PSYC 636 Organizational Psychology
PSYC 639 Groups and Teams: Advanced Topics in I/O
POLI 503 Topics in Methods and Data Analysis
POLI 504 Advanced Topics in Methodology and Data Analysis
POLI 505 Topics in Political Methodology (Panel Data or Time Series)
POLI 511 Measurement and Research Design
POLI 527 Institutional Analysis and Design
POLI 576 International Political Economy
POLI 575 Game Theory
BUSI 540: Strategic Management Theory This seminar covers foundational as well as contemporary theories in strategic management. The course draws upon foundational theoretical perspectives from economics, sociology and organization theory to supplement more traditional strategy approaches towards understanding firm performance and related issues. Potential topics on contemporary theories may include: behavioral theory of the firm, transaction cost economics, agency theory, behavioral agency theory, structural contingency theory, theories of cooperative strategy, organizational networks, the resource-based view of the firm and upper echelon theories or theories regarding top management teams, theories of opportunity recognition and new venture creation, resource dependence theory, and theories of organizational evolution.
BUSI 541: Strategy Management Research This seminar examines the effectiveness of corporate and competitive strategy in creating and maintaining competitive advantage. Topics may include firm resources and sustained competitive advantage, dynamic capabilities and knowledge-based theories of competence, strategy as real options, and cooperative strategy including strategic alliances and joint ventures. Topics may also include corporate diversification strategy, international diversification and entry into emerging markets, corporate governance, management of diversified business groups, strategic entrepreneurship, and management of innovation.
Advanced Topics in Strategy (1.5 credit course modules)
Required Advanced Strategy Electives (They take two per semester after the first semester in the program)
BUSI 515 Micro foundations of organization & management (1.5)
BUSI 542 Organization change (1.5)
BUSI 543 Executive leadership & corporate governance (1.5)
BUSI 544 Contemporary management thought (1.5)
BUSI 547 Innovation & knowledge management (1.5)
BUSI 551 Strategy research in corporate development (1.5)
BUSI 550 Corporate social responsibility (1.5)
BUSI 552 Design of business research (1.5)
Other topic are likely to be developed in the future.
Certification of Candidacy indicates that a student has reached the advanced stage of the Ph.D. Program, permitting him/her to devote full time to writing a dissertation. At least eight months must elapse between admission to candidacy and conferral of the degree. The requirements for candidacy are:
- Successful completion of the course work requirements.
- Successful completion of the research paper requirements.
- Successful completion of the comprehensive examination requirements.
Strategic Management Area Advisor
Yoon Jung (Jenny) Kwon
The Economic Times daily newspaper is available online now.
'indian companies may offer highest salary increases in asia pacific next year'.
Indian companies expect to raise employee salaries by 9.8% in 2024, close to the 10% increase in 2023, making India the country with the highest salary hikes in Asia Pacific, according to WTW's Salary Budget Planning Report. The report cited tighter labour markets and rising inflation as some of the major concerns influencing salary increase in companies for next year.
Empower Your Corporate Journey with Strategic Skill Courses
- Pure Politics
- Brands & Companies
- Learn more about our print edition More
India’s goods and services tax (GST) revenue rose 13% in October to ₹1.72 lakh crore, the second highest monthly collection since the levy was rolled out in July 2017, riding robust festive demand and improved compliance.
Global research firm Kantar said it is seeing the start of a turnaround in the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) sector, after demand for daily groceries and essentials increased 7.2% year-on-year in the September quarter.
Pivoting away from their swashbuckling playbook of big-bang buyouts, most marque PE funds are now embracing private credit as the cost of funds surges to their highest since 2008. Apollo’s private credit unit now manages more than $400 billion in AUM, four times the size of its buyout arm, which has been the linchpin of its business. In an exclusive interview with Swaraj Dhanjal and Arijit Barman in Mumbai during his first India trip, James C Zelter, co-president of the firm, talks about this mega shift in high finance.
Read More News on
Download The Economic Times News App to get Daily Market Updates & Live Business News.
ETPrime stories of the day
Find this comment offensive?
Choose your reason below and click on the Report button. This will alert our moderators to take action
Reason for reporting:
Your Reason has been Reported to the admin.
To post this comment you must
Log In/Connect with:
Fill in your details:
Will be displayed
Will not be displayed
Share this Comment:
Uh-oh this is an exclusive story available for selected readers only..
Worry not. You’re just a step away.
Prime Account Detected!
It seems like you're already an ETPrime member with
Login using your ET Prime credentials to enjoy all member benefits
Log out of your current logged-in account and log in again using your ET Prime credentials to enjoy all member benefits.
To read full story, subscribe to ET Prime
₹34 per week
Billed annually at ₹2499 ₹1749
Super Saver Sale - Flat 30% Off
On ET Prime Membership
Sign in to read the full article
You’ve got this prime story as a free gift.
(Credit card mandatory)
You can cancel your subscription anytime
(Pay Using Netbanking/UPI/Debit Card)
Billed Amount ₹399
No Trial Period
Billed Amount ₹2,499
15 Days Trial + Includes DocuBay and TimesPrime Membership.
Billed Amount ₹3,599
7 Days Trial
15 Days Trial
Get ET Prime for just ₹2499 ₹1749/yr
Offer Exclusively For You
Save up to Rs. 700/-
ON ET PRIME MEMBERSHIP
Get 1 Year Free
With 1 and 2-Year ET prime membership
Get Flat 40% Off
Then ₹ 1749 for 1 year
ET Prime at ₹ 49 for 1 month
Get 1200/- off on ETPrime Membership
To Read the full Story, Subscribe to ET Prime
Access the exclusive Economic Times stories, Editorial and Expert opinion
Unlock this story and enjoy all members-only benefits.
- 8 insight-rich stories published daily
- 4000+ in-depth Stock Reports
- Print Edition, the digital Newspaper
- 2 Stock Researches everyday
90 Days Prime access worth Rs999 unlocked for you
Exclusive Economic Times Stories, Editorials & Expert opinion across 20+ sectors
Stock analysis. Market Research. Industry Trends on 4000+ Stocks
Get 1 Year Complimentary Subscription of TOI+ worth Rs.799/-
Stories you might be interested in