- Home keyboard_arrow_right
- ICSE Class-8 keyboard_arrow_right
- English Writing Skills keyboard_arrow_right
- Writing Skills (long) keyboard_arrow_right
Formal letters - Format and Sample
Formal letters include:
Letter to Editor of newspapers
- To write a essay to describe when we had trouble in our school. State how to solve the problem
- Letter Writing
- Formal Letter Writing In English
Formal Letter Writing in English - Definition, Format and Writing Samples
The article elaborates on the format of writing a formal letter, the definition and structure of a formal letter, along with sample formal letters for your reference. Formal Letters are professional and need to be drafted carefully. The following topics will help you understand how to write a formal letter in the most effective manner.
Table of Contents
Definition of a formal letter.
- Structure of a Formal Letter – Types of Formal Letters
Writing a Formal Letter – Parts of a Formal Letter
Formal letter writing samples.
- FAQs on Formal Letter Writing Format in English
Formal Letters, also called Business Letters or Professional Letters, are letters that are written in a strict and specific format. Formal letters are naturally much more formal in style than informal/friendly letters. Formal letters can be written for a number of reasons such as,
- to express your concerns while working in a professional setup
- to provide official information across your workspace
- to order goods, to apply for employment, etc.
- to the Editor of a newspaper addressing the problems faced by various groups of people in different areas, etc.
Structure of a Formal Letter
In order to be able to write a formal letter, you have to first understand the reason behind the letter. As far as formal letters are concerned, the structure of the letter changes depending on the type of letter. There are certain rules to be followed to be able to draft a formal letter. Every sentence should be well thought out and laid down in such a way that the message you want to convey should be precise and clear to the reader.
Types of Formal Letters
There are different types of formal letters, as discussed, and they can generally be labelled under the following terms:
Letters of application, letters to newspapers.
Business letters should be terse, clear and to the point. There is no room for any kind of stories in a business letter. Before you start to write a business letter, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- Use simple, everyday language to convey the message clearly instead of using flamboyant and overemphatic vocabulary.
- Never use jargon that is commonly used in business when you write a business letter.
- Avoid using abbreviations as much as possible.
- The modes of address vary according to the type of letter and the receiver.
- Clear and exact descriptions of the articles necessary with the expected quality and quantity should be listed with utmost care when you write a letter to order goods.
- When replying to a business letter, always quote the date of the letter you are responding to and its reference numbers (if any).
Formal/Business letters include letters from an employer to the employees and vice versa, letters to order and replace goods, letters of serious concern to an officer of higher rank, letters of complaint, etc.
Letters of Application usually consist of letters applying for employment. Before and after you write a letter of application, make sure you check for the following:
- Always start with a short introduction stating whether the applicant is writing in response to a reference from an advertisement found online or in the newspaper.
- State the age, education and experience of the applicant.
- Provide the employer with a genuine expression of the applicant’s earnestness in taking up the job in the respective company.
- Also, furnish references so that the employer can gather an idea of the kind of employee you would be.
Letters of Application should follow the format of formal/business letters.
Always address these letters to ‘The Editor’ and end with ‘Yours faithfully’. Letters to the Editor are letters that express concerns that should be addressed to the higher authorities. These letters should be professional and authentic. No newspaper would publish anonymous letters, so make sure you are writing the letter for a cause and provide your name and address correctly.
When writing a formal letter, always be respectful and conscious of your language, no matter what the subject of the letter might be. To write a formal letter, there are some points to be remembered.
- Always start with the sender’s address
- This is followed by the date .
- The receiver’s address comes next. The receiver can be the name of the firm or the one who represents the firm.
- The subject of the letter is very important. It is a statement of the purpose of the letter. It should be written in a single line.
- The salutation can be Dear Sir/Ma’am. If it is a person you know well, you can address them by their name, ‘Dear Shrinath’.
- The first paragraph should be aimed at introducing yourself and stating the purpose of your letter.
- The second paragraph should furnish all the information about the matter.
- The third paragraph can be a concluding paragraph where you lay out your expectations regarding the matter.
- To close the letter , you can use a complimentary closing like ‘ Yours faithfully’, ‘Yours sincerely’ etc.
- Unlike informal letters, the signature should include your name (in block letters) and designation below your signature.
Formal Letter Sample 1 – Letter to the publisher ordering books for your store
Read More Book Store
24, Crosby Lane
20th August, 2019
Zack Publishing House
Subject: Requirement of new books for the store
I have received the books that you sent last week. The books are in perfect condition, and they were delivered on time. Owing to the great service rendered, I would like to order more books that would be a great addition to the wide range of books available at my store. Given below is a list of books that I would like to purchase:
I shall be grateful if you could send me copies of these books as mentioned by VPP as early as possible to the address given.
Thank you in advance.
Manager, Read More Book Store
Formal Letter Sample 2 – Letter to the Editor about a road that needs repair
25, SS Street
8th September, 2019
Subject: Repair of the road in Cheran Nagar
I would like to bring to your notice that the people in and around Cheran Nagar have been facing difficulties in travelling back and forth because of the bad condition of the roads there. We have appealed to the Municipality, but there has not been any response on the issue so far.
As our appeals to their office have had no effect, we believe that perhaps a mention in the media would be of great help. Since the beginning of the last month, the roads in Cheran Nagar have been almost impassable. The surface is badly broken up by the heavy rains, and on a dark night, it is positively dangerous for vehicles to pass that way. Moreover, there are heaps of road metal on both sides of the road, which leave very little room in the middle. The residents of the area have been inconvenienced in this way for weeks.
The situation is becoming worse. There have been multiple accidents happening due to this condition. I request you to highlight the seriousness of the matter in your newspaper so that the road may be properly repaired without further delay.
More Formal Letter Samples,
FAQ on Formal Letter Writing Format in English
What is a formal letter.
A formal letter is written for official purposes such as to express your concerns while working in a professional setup, to share official information at your workspace, to order goods, to apply for employment, to the Editor of a newspaper addressing the problems faced by various groups of people in different areas, etc.
What is the format of a formal letter?
A formal letter should include the sender’s address, date, receiver’s address, subject, salutation, body of the letter, complimentary closing and finally, the signature with name (in block letters) and designation.
How can I write a formal letter?
Before you start writing a formal letter, make sure you understand the pattern of the formal letter. Try to include all the necessary information about the matter that is being discussed. Keep your language simple and clear. Make the receiver understand your requirements and also your expectations. Provide authentic information no matter what.
Leave a Comment Cancel reply
Your Mobile number and Email id will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Request OTP on Voice Call
Post My Comment
- Share Share
Register with BYJU'S & Download Free PDFs
Register with byju's & watch live videos.
Question and Answer forum for K12 Students
Formal Letter Writing ICSE Board Exams
Here we have covered previous Year Formal Letter Writing Topics asked in ICSE board exams.
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2016
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2015
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2014
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2012
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2009
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2007
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2006
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2004
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2001
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 1996
Letters To The Editor
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2003
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 1995
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 1985
Letters Of The Complaint
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2011
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2010
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2008
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2005
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2000
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 1991
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 1989
Letters Of Apology
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2013
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 2002
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 1984
Letters Of Persuation
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 1999
- F ormal Letter Writing ICSE 1998
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 1997
- Formal Letter Writing ICSE 1993
- Make Studies fun with over 9000+ Animated Videos
- Make Homework stress free with Guaranteed Homework Help
- Ace your exams with our Accurate Sample Papers
Select Board & Class
write a letter to your friend telling him how you prepare for final exam
write a letter to your friend asking for her good health
An essay on "cinema both entertains and educate the people "express your views on this topic
Write a letter to your friend telling him how you saved a life - can you please give me a small letter for my homework
write a letter to your friend and describe your new neighbours who have recently shifted to the next house.
write a letter to your friend abt the importance of education
Write a letter to your friend telling him about a surprise party that you arranged for your parents.
write an informal letter to your friend describing the place you got an opportunity to visit pleas sir/mam send the answer of this question today itself plzzzzzzzzzzzzz
write a letter to your mother describing your life at the hostel
write a letter to your brother telling him the importance of time
write a letter to your father requesting him to send you some money so as to enable you to go on a picnic
you are on a holiday ,visiting your uncle in another city.but you are feeling bored there. Write a letter to your mother/father in about 120 words describing.
What is the format of formal letter and informal letter.
your grand father celebrates his 90th birthday next week.write aletter to him expressing your love and joy for him.
Write a letter to your friend to say how you celebrated your birthday...
recently you spent a week with your grandmother who lives in another city/ village. write a letter of thanks to her.
format of formal letter writing in english
Write a letter to yourr cousin describing your visit to the dentist
Taking ideas from the third couplet - 'He knows to live , who keeps the middle state
And neither leans on this side nor on that.'
write a letter to a friend telling the importance of leading a balanced life.
write a letter to your friend describing him about the trip in which you will be going with your friends and invite him.
on behalf of the aunt write a reply to jamanas letter
latest format of writing informal letters
write a letter to the chairman water authority in minimium 120 words on the problem related to scarcity of water. also suggest a few effective remedies
write a letter to your uncle asking him to send some books which aren't available with you and it is urgent
you r on a holiday visiting your uncle in another city. but you are feeling bored there. write a letter to your mother/father in about 120 words
You are Shreshtha.Your pen friend,Samantha is coming to India for the first time. Write a letter describing yourself so that she may recognize you at the airport.
Write a letter to someone telling how music touches your heart.
Write an informal letter to your friend mentioning how well you have fared in your half yearly exams.
a formal letter for the zoological park of your city,expressing your concern about the unhygeinic conditions in the enclousures for the animals .give your suggestions for improvement and ways in which the visitors can help the autorities to maintain cleanliness
letter to brother asking him to take part in games
write a letter to your family doctor describing the condition of your mother who is ill
write a letter to the principal requsting her/him for a leave for 15 days as we are going for a vacation of 15 days i.e from 20 april to 2 april.
MERITNATION EXPERTS PLEASE GIVE THE ANSWER FAST I HAVE TO GIVE IT TO PRINCIPAL ON 18
give me the format of writing letters (send me the new format)
rply fast its necessary
- Terms & Conditions
- Our Results
Copyright © 2023 Aakash EduTech Pvt. Ltd. All rights reserved.
E.g: 9876543210, 01112345678
We will give you a call shortly, Thank You
Office hours: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm IST (7 days a week)